Have you ever sent a ton of visitors to a certain Amazon product without seeing any commissions?
I’ve definitely seen this happen in the past. Both to myself and to students of mine.
Usually there’s a good explanation for it, such as not using an affiliate link, not understanding what your visitors are looking for, or promoting an out-of-stock product.
But here’s something most people don’t know about.
And it’s something you absolutely must know if you are promoting products on Amazon.
And that is…
Amazon will not pay you commissions for promoting certain excluded products.
I recently checked out the excluded product list, and was quite surprised. The strange thing is that I don’t see anything about these products that would make them not eligible for commissions.
For example, I would have never guessed that Amazon won’t give me commissions for selling an iPod (see below. Actually, I’ve sold plenty of iPods in the past, so this must be something new).
In fact, I never thought to check for excluded items. I always thought that excluded items would be really unusual products. Such as certain subscriptions or services.
But not an iPod…
But that’s the reason I’m writing this post. I want to make sure you don’t fall into the trap of promoting something without the chance of getting a return.
So anyway, if you’re sending visitors to a specific Amazon product and not seeing sales,
you might have picked a product Amazon will not give commissions for.
An excluded item.
The list seems to be updated monthly, and I recommend you take a look every once in a while to make sure you’re not wasting your efforts on something you can’t profit from.
Here are some of the items you will not get a cent for, even if you sell lots of them:
- Apple iPod touch 16GB Black (4th Generation) CURRENT MODEL
- Apple iPod touch 16GB White (4th Generation) CURRENT MODEL
- Apple iPod touch 32GB Black (4th Generation) CURRENT MODEL
- Apple iPod classic 160GB Black (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL
- Nikon D600 24.3 MP CMOS FX-Format Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)
- Canon EOS-1D X 18.1MP Full Frame CMOS Digital SLR Camera
- Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras
- Garmin nüvi 50LM 5-inch Portable GPS Navigator (US and Canada)
- Garmin nüvi 50LM 5-Inch Portable GPS Navigator(US)
- Pampers Baby Dry Size 4 Diapers Economy Pack Plus 192 Count
- Pampers Swaddlers Diapers Economy Pack Plus Size 1, 234 Count
- Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer with ExacTemp Technology
There’s also a long list of TVs. And alcoholic beverages are also included.
Check out the list here, and make sure nothing you promote is listed.
I’d hate for you to go through the effort of getting traffic and sending it over to Amazon without a chance for commissions.
If you do find your products listed there, just switch your links and promote another store instead. One that will give you commissions for your sales.
Don’t send traffic to Amazon for nothing!
Please help spread the word so other affiliates know about this. I wonder how many people tried to promote these products and quit affiliate marketing after not seeing any sales?